- Edinburgh, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 26 Dec, 2018
- Posted on 27 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
Leonardo – Engineering the Future
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo’s Graduate Programme develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Come and join one of our multi-disciplinary integrated project teams (IPT) in Edinburgh and contribute to the solving of real-life engineering problems on state-of-the-art avionics sensor systems such as: the radar for the Typhoon fighter jet; the radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter; one of our family of Surveillance AESA Radars (Active Electronically Scanned Array); an IRCM (Infra–Red Counter Measures) system; or perhaps on one of our laser target designator or laser ranging systems. Your software engineering expertise can make a real difference to the radar capabilities presented to the pilot. Graduates applying for this position should demonstrate an interest in Software Engineering in the area of real time development for avionic systems and have or be anticipating a 2:1, or better, honours degree in a science based degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon)/ BEng (Hon)/ MSc/ MEng).
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
At Leonardo, we have some of the Industry’s most sophisticated technology at our fingertips, and we rely on having the very best employees to maintain our competitive edge. As one of our graduates, you will be working for a company at the cutting edge of technology, as well as enhancing your skills and business acumen, opening up your horizons to the diverse and dynamic ways in which your degree can be used.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Key Responsibility Areas
- As experience as a Software Engineer is gained, software development will include the full software lifecycle from requirements analysis; through design, coding and unit test; to integrating the software with the hardware target; and lastly to acceptance test and delivery to the customer.
- As a software engineer you are responsible for creating high quality and robust code, for fully documenting and recording your work products, keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and reports on progress to your supervisor.
- You will develop practical skills in design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding of key processes and technologies, and develop software using state-of-the-art modelling tools, compilers and test environments.
- You will work closely with Systems engineers and Hardware engineers to solve real integration problems on a complex system.
- There may be opportunities to contribute towards the investigation and analysis of leading edge development methodologies and influence the future path of software development within Leonardo.
- Most training will be delivered via on-the-job experience working in real software teams within project groups delivering sensor systems to our customers. Additional formal technical training to augment the on-the-job training may be provided via taught courses depending on the business needs.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- You should have or be anticipating a 2:1, or better, honours degree in a science based degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon)/ BEng (Hon)/ MSc/ MEng).
- Experience of an object-oriented programming language such as C++ and knowledge of UML (Unified Modelling Language) is an advantage but not essential since training will be provided.
- A full statement of courses and projects studied at university and corresponding grades/marks/percentage should be included in your CV.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values its people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary & welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility) & 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- Generous holiday entitlement and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Employee discounts with selected suppliers, including gym membership
- Discounted coffee bar & restaurants at each site
- Free parking
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Leonardo is a global high-tech player in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
We are inspired by Leonardo da Vinci, a universally recognised symbol of creativity and innovation. Our new name follows our business rationalisation in which we absorbed the activities of AgustaWestland, Alenia Aermacchi, OTO Melara, Selex ES and WASS into
- Engineering & industrial, Logistics & Transport
- Basildon, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1948