You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 15 Sep, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 24,000.0 per year
This is your chance to shape the country’s most important piece of infrastructure. Highways England operates, maintains and improves England’s motorways and major A roads. These vital arteries account for a third of all traffic, carry two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and are relied on by 98% of the UK's businesses.
Increasing levels of investment are leading to all manner of innovations, like smart motorways that help traffic flow smoothly. But with 4,300 miles of motorway, 21,870 miles of pavement and 16,000 structures, our work continually increases in scale and complexity. Not least as we bring £11 billion-worth of projects to life, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
We are looking for ambitious graduate Civil Engineers who are ready to work hard, to take their career to the next level. In return, we’ll support your journey to become a chartered engineer, offer you a comprehensive benefits package and enough opportunities to steer your career in the right direction.
Our Graduate Civil Engineers will mix study with real life work. You will complete a series of inspirational placements over three years, and the projects, challenges and responsibilities you take on will complement your push towards becoming chartered by the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Senior figures within the team will help you plan your placements – potentially with external partners and suppliers – so you can take control of your development. There will be opportunities to test your design skills, manage colleagues and implement cutting-edge technology. Equally, day releases will give you the time to focus on your studies.
Once you have completed our 3-year flexible programme, you will have proven, certified skills that are in demand around the world, together with experience of equally impressive projects.
Moreover, you will have a wealth of new opportunities to explore right here, as you continue to make improvements to society by creating roads that are ever-more efficient, effective and above all safe.
• Profession-specific schemes and additional learning to help you become a chartered civil engineer
• A combination of workshops, formal training and ‘hands-on’ experience to develop your technical, commercial and consulting skills
• Opportunities to grow and develop ‘on-the-job’ through a variety of civil engineering placements
• Real-life exposure to complex infrastructure programmes both internally and externally with members of our supply chain
• Support and guidance of both a delegated engineer and a supervising civil engineer, who will help you plan and manage your training
• A dedicated line manager to provide you with encouragement, direction and career planning support to steer you into a permanent role with us at the end of your programme
• Support after the programme for those who are looking to move their careers to the next level
• Mentoring and buddying support to help you identify and reach your goals
• A two-day induction programme and a variety of annual networking events
• A strong graduate community with reps across all locations providing regular opportunities to stay connected with your peers across the business.
• 2 employee volunteering days per year to support good causes
• At least a 2:2 in an engineering or technology (accredited as a base for CEng learning) degree plus a Master’s (accredited or approved by a professional institution) or an equivalent level of further learning
• Commercially-minded with excellent problem-solving skills
• Good team player with an enthusiasm and passion to succeed
• Proactive personality who meets deadlines and prioritises where necessary.
• Confident communicator and good listener.
• Clear and concise writer, able to effectively distil complex and detailed topics.
A good salary is matched by a contributory pension. A broad, flexible benefits package which offers a huge variety of lifestyle discounts on everything from cinema tickets to food shopping. Automatic membership to the Highways England’s Graduate and Apprentice Forum which offers a variety of networking opportunities including graduate away-days, conferences, social networking events and peer-to-peer support for those that require it.
We also offer childcare vouchers and an initiative where we can contribute up to 60% of the cost of school holiday play schemes.
As well as a CV, please include a covering note. It should detail how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role and our broader requirements, and how on a personal level you would thrive in the role.
Please note, you will need to provide ID and valid proof of your Right to Work in the UK at your first interview.
We expect the role to be popular, and may withdraw our invitation for applications early. To avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Click here to apply or via the apply button below!
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
About Highways England
We are responsible for England’s motorways and major A roads. We are the backbone of businesses and communities up and down the country.
Our roads make up just 2% of the wider road network. They carry one third of all traffic, and two thirds of all freight. In fact, 98% of businesses rely on our roads. Whether it’s the daily commute or
- Engineering & industrial
- Birmingham, UK
- 1,001-10,000 employees
- Founded in 2015