- Romsey, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 18 Apr, 2019
- Posted on 01 Feb, 2019
Roke imagines a more secure world. A world where technology protects, rather than exposes. A world where expert engineers, consultants and business support staff collaborate to protect what matters most to our clients. We are seeking highly motivated and knowledgeable staff to join us working across ground breaking projects within the fields of autonomy, connectivity, data analytics and cyber.
Each day, it is rare that you will have nothing new to learn. Our people use their intelligence to make the world a safer place, by combining innovation, strong industry partnerships and 60 years of experience to offer our clients truly exceptional advice, research and development..
We are offering you the chance to be part of something amazing.
What will your role look like?
Roke swiftly develops and delivers effective software to a broad range of customers with a variety of challenges to overcome. Software engineers at Roke have opportunities to work on everything from early days research to mission-critical software. We develop, publish and contribute to open-source software and provide key commercial and sovereign capabilities for our clients.
Graduates at Roke get the opportunity to apply themselves across a broad range of projects. We carefully choose the most effective tools for each development and as such we are always learning new tools, frameworks, approaches and sometimes languages. We build teams that can adapt to solve our customers’ evolving challenges and rarely solve the same problem twice.
We write fast software, some low level, some massively scaled. We write software to assure and test and we build sophisticated DevOps setups to apply the rigor and regularity that we and our customers expect. We write smart mobile apps, polished web front-ends and visualise complex concepts and data simply. Sometimes we carefully and slowly develop our software, sometimes speed saves lives and customers want something to try tomorrow. Amongst these areas and Roke’s other expert fields there’s space to grow expertise and develop your passions.
A software engineer at Roke has a wide range of places to apply themselves and always new things to learn. We often work in teams and apply Agile methodologies. You can take opportunities to lead teams, lead customer engagements and lead technical architectures. We work together to solve challenges and learn from the experience and insight of others.
Some technologies we like at the moment
Linux, Android, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes, Vagrant, Terraform, GitLab, AWS, Vue, React, Node, Django, Flask, Spring .
What does our Graduate Development Programme look like?
At Roke we aim to recruit some of the best talent the country has to offer. In doing so we recognise that we need to provide the necessary building blocks for successful integration into the business, as well as ongoing support which will enable our graduate community to fulfil their undoubted potential. That’s why we’ve created a programme that will support individual learning and development, whilst simultaneously delivering real business value.
This emphasis on experiential learning is supported through a number of additional modules such as:
- Technical Training – delivered through an initial technical ‘bootcamp’ and enduring access to the PluralSight online training portal.
- Soft Skill Training – a series of modules focussed on developing communication skills, networking, professional etiquette and teamwork.
- Visible Leadership – regular access to senior leaders and de-mystification of internal processes
- External Visits - opportunities to attend external exhibitions/conferences in order to broaden industry knowledge and appraise the competition
- Lecture Series – opportunity to attend lectures by visiting customers and prominent academics
What do we expect from you?
Roke is looking for graduates enthusiastic about developing and evolving software. We have a wide range of opportunities in this area so your role will vary depending on your existing experience, our customer needs and your aspirations.
Competition is high and you will need a good honours degree in a subject such as Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics or Physics.
- A demonstrable passion for making good software
- An ability to pick up new tools, frameworks and languages fast
- An ability to analyse problems and communicate well thought through solutions
- An ability to develop new solutions where no pre-existing solution fits
- A willingness and capability to work as part of a team
What additional skills would be useful?
- An awareness and experience of working with open-source software
- A familiarity with Linux
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's sites in either Romsey or Gloucester, with some travel to customer sites and the possibility for you to work on secondment with one of our prestigious customers.
The benefits of working for us include:
- A highly competitive salary, pension and flexible benefits.
- A substantial performance related bonus scheme, which we accompany with a clearly defined and fair review process.
- A substantial holiday allowance, which can be supplemented by Roke’s flexi-leave scheme.
- A generous relocation allowance to help you settle into the local area and your new role.
- Onsite tennis courts, gym (including showers & changing facilities) and fishing rights on the River Test.
- Numerous company events throughout the year, including a summer music festival, bonfire night fireworks and Christmas party.
- Employee led social clubs covering numerous sports, cyber/data/robotics activities, gaming, board games and more.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Roke is the UK's leading provider of independent research, development & consultancy in technology. We have 60 years' of experience behind us and fuel our clients’ success with a forward-thinking team that combines some of the finest engineering, scientific and mathematical minds in Britain.
Roke make it our business to understand
- Technology & IT, Engineering & industrial, Science & Research, Telecommunications, Consulting & Accounting
- Romsey, UK
- 201-500 employees
- Founded in 1956