- Leicester, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 24 Dec, 2018
- Posted on 27 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 16,500.0 per year
Who are Caterpillar?
Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Caterpillar Leicester is part of the Building Construction Products (BCP) division, manufacturing a range of world class Backhoe Loaders and Compact Wheel Loaders, as part of the wider BCP range. Products that are reliable, cost effective, versatile and adaptable.
Leicester is more than just a production area - it is a full product development facility with global responsibility for its products. Our development facilities include: Advanced 3D CAD systems on-line to other Caterpillar engineering resource centres around the world, full product prototyping and engineering capabilities, and, through the international network, access to some of the most advanced R&D facilities in the world.
What is the role?
We have opportunities in several areas of our Engineering Design and Development teams, which are responsible for the development of construction machines for assembly in the UK and other countries, for distribution to worldwide markets. The team’s main function is new product development - driven by customer requirements, legislation and the business need - as well as ongoing design improvement of existing products. Our solutions must align with supplier capability and capacity, and be validated to rigorous quality specifications.
What experiences can we offer you?
The key role of this engineering position is to learn and assist, with a view to quickly taking on more responsibility: to gain an understanding of Caterpillar's business, products, systems, and procedures; to learn and develop skills which result from the practical application of basic engineering knowledge.
To work as part of the development team, accountable for the delivery of specific design and development projects, in one or more of the following areas:
- New component and system design, such as structures, operator station, hydraulics, engine systems, electrical systems.
- Validation and test, including computer simulation and predictive techniques, rig testing or overall machine testing.
- Refinement of designs based on test failures or prototype build difficulties.
- Shop-floor support for prototype and production machine build activities.
- Existing component design improvements to resolve quality issues or save cost.
- Requirements definition, including critical customer requirements, application profiles, competitive machine positioning.
- Collaboration with suppliers to ensure designs produced are suitable for manufacture using the most suitable materials and processes, and to an acceptable quality level.
You will be given the support and coaching required to develop your technical capability and business understanding. We promote a hands-on approach, encouraging you to spend time operating Backhoe Loader or Compact Wheel Loader machines.
What are we looking for?
Skills/Experience/Key competencies desired:
- Possess at least a basic knowledge of construction equipment operation and design.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Desire to challenge both yourself and the organisation on delivery of technically superior, cost effective designs and solutions.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal, a foreign language would be an asset.
- Strong planning, organising and problem-solving skills.
- Willing to travel and engage different cultures.
On target to achieve a minimum of 2:1 honours degree level in the following engineering disciplines:
- Aerospace, Design
- Mechanical Engineering.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
For more than 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2016 sales and revenues of $38.537 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of constr
- Engineering & industrial
- in Leicester, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1925
Peckleton Ln, Leicester, UK
Your personalised job suggestions
Placement at Caterpillar