- Manchester, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 09 Jan, 2019
- Posted on 10 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
At Arup, we are passionate about designing and delivering ground-breaking work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts using our skills to help shape a better world.
Our multidisciplinary teams focus on designing energy infrastructure, starting at a pre-planning stage moving through procurement to delivery and operation. We seek to integrate technical, commercial, planning and policy expertise to help clients make informed decisions about their energy consumption, carbon management and technology investments.
Our enthusiasm combined with our extensive knowhow/knowledge equip us to take energy strategies from concept to realisation. We stay attuned to the specific goals and constraints of each client to achieve tangible value. Our main activities include:
- Research and advice at city / regional / district scale to inform resilience, energy and sustainability assessments and strategies for cities, institutions and private sector.
- Energy master planning including techno-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and design of low carbon distributed energy systems.
- Technical advice for investors and developers on low carbon energy investments including assessment of technical and commercial risks, business case development, commercialisation and procurement.
- Modelling and detailed design of distributed energy systems such as district heating, power generation (including renewables), storage (both electrical and thermal) and micro-grids.
- Power systems (HV and LV distribution level) modelling and design ranging from buildings to city master plan level.
- Delivery of clients engineering services from project concept through design, construction and operation.
- Strategic research into the future of energy systems, presently including micro-grids, smart grids and hydrogen applications.
About the role
We have opportunities for Summer Placements to join our teams of bright professionals in London, Manchester and Sheffield. Your role will be to assist the existing Energy team with an expanding workload and to offer complementary and new skills to growing this area of work.
Your day to day tasks may include:
- Feasibility studies on technology options including; District heating/cooling, Combined Heat and Power, solar photovoltaic, wind, geothermal, hydrogen, energy storage and biomass
- Assessing carbon reduction benefits of a variety of technology options
- Simulations and data analysis
- Commercial analysis and financial modelling
- Project delivery design advice supporting senior colleagues
- Report writing
- Contributing to presentations
- Site visits and surveys
- Organising internal and external events
- Policy and legislation investigation surrounding power generation, especially with regards to renewable technologies
- Supporting the development of proposals for new commissions
- Participating in the on-going group research activities
What do we look for?
We are looking for undergraduates with enthusiasm, curiosity, personal drive, technical knowhow and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Energy Consulting sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Power Systems, Environmental Engineering, Building Services, Civil or Chemical Engineering, with prediction of 2:1 or higher (or equivalent)
- A commitment to a low carbon future
- Excellent interpersonal, numerical, written, analytical and research skills
- Knowledge and interest in national and local energy generation, transmission and distribution systems infrastructure and their operations and legislation
- Communicating technical information and issues to non-technical audience
- Interested in finding out more? Here's some additional information.
You'll be based in either London, Manchester or Sheffield, so please advise us of any strong preferences that you may have. You must upload the following in order to be considered, and should follow the instructions carefully:
- Cover letter, detailing reason for application and why you are interested in the Energy sector
- Breakdown of modules and results to date
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment and across industry. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- Property & Construction
- in Manchester, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1946