- Leicester, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 24 Dec, 2018
- Posted on 27 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 30,896.0 per year
Who are Caterpillar?
Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Caterpillar Leicester is part of the Building Construction Products (BCP) division, manufacturing a range of world class Backhoe Loaders and Compact Wheel Loaders, as part of the wider BCP range. Products that are reliable, cost effective, versatile and adaptable. Each of the product families has several machine models with differing power, capabilities and features.
Leicester is more than just a production area - it is a full product development facility with global responsibility for its products. Our development facilities include: Advanced 3D CAD systems on-line to other Caterpillar engineering resource centres around the world, full product prototyping and engineering capabilities, and, through the international network, access to some of the most advanced R&D facilities in the world.
We have opportunities in several areas of our Engineering Design and Development teams. In order to grow and move forwards, we provide the necessary resources, freedom and support to those who thrive on this sort of challenge and opportunity. With such a large, worldwide organisation the opportunities for long term career growth are very broad and all employees are encouraged, through ongoing coaching and performance review, to fulfil their true potential.
What experiences can we offer you?
Design and Development Engineering is the team responsible for the development of construction machines for assembly in the UK and other countries, for distribution to worldwide markets. The team’s main function is new product development - driven by customer requirements, legislation and the business need - as well as ongoing design improvement of existing products. Our solutions must align with supplier capability and capacity, and be validated to rigorous quality specifications.
The key role of this entry level engineering position is to learn and assist, with a view to quickly taking on more responsibility: to gain an understanding of Caterpillar's business, products, systems, and procedures; to learn and develop skills which result from the practical application of basic engineering & manufacturing knowledge and to provide assistance to a project team or others in the work group.
To work as part of the development team, accountable for the delivery of specific design and development projects, in one or more of the following areas:
- New component and system design, such as structures, operator station, hydraulics, engine systems, electrical systems.
- Validation and test, including computer simulation and predictive techniques, rig testing or overall machine testing.
- Refinement of designs based on test failures or prototype build difficulties.
- Shop-floor support for prototype and production machine build activities.
- Existing component design improvements to resolve quality issues or save cost.
- Requirements definition, including critical customer requirements, application profiles, competitive machine positioning.
- Collaboration with suppliers to ensure designs produced are suitable for manufacture using the most suitable materials and processes, and to an acceptable quality level.
Our graduates are given the support and coaching required to develop their technical capability and business understanding. We promote a hands-on approach, including being trained in machine operation and interacting with customers directly. They are encouraged to spend time operating Backhoe Loader or Compact Wheel Loader machines, in order to better understand customer applications. Within a short period of time our graduates become vital to the success of the departments within which they operate, and accountable for key deliverables – this means that they are well positioned to become future leaders and technical experts within our business.
Whilst following a two-year cross functional training programme, tailored to the individual, our graduates are mentored and guided towards achieving Professional Engineer status in the early stages of their careers.
Who are we looking for? Skills/Experience desired:
- Possess at least a basic knowledge of construction equipment operation and design.
- Interest in automotive, industrial or agricultural machinery would be beneficial.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal. A foreign language would be an asset.
- Ability to collaborate effectively as part of a global team, as well as on own initiative.
- Strong planning, organising and problem solving skills.
- Willing to travel and engage with different cultures.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Desire to challenge both yourself and the organisation on delivery of technically superior cost effective designs and solutions.
- Potential to be a technical leader within Caterpillar.
- Experienced using MS Office suite & ideally skilled in the use of 3D CAD tools such as PTC Creo Parametric.
- A minimum of 2:1 honours degree level in Mechanical, Design, Agricultural, Automotive, Aeronautical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Masters degree or further education would be an advantage.
- Industrial or work experience in a similar environment desired.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
For more than 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2016 sales and revenues of $38.537 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of constr
- Engineering & industrial
- in Leicester, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1925
Peckleton Ln, Leicester, UK