You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
Graduate at Penrhyn Williams Recruitment Ltd
- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 13 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of building services and engineering skills to projects encompassing all types of building and use from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare & research, hotels, industrial & manufacturing, and infrastructure both in the UK and overseas.
Building physics is a specialist team that sits within our building engineering business line. Our building physics engineers support our building engineering and sustainability teams and carry out independent consultancy for a range of clients.
Along with core Dynamic Thermal Modelling (DTM) services assessing plant sizing, compliance with Part L2A of the Building Regulations, our team also carries out LEED and ASHRAE modelling, TM54 energy analysis, daylight modelling, thermal comfort and ventilation modelling, low and zero carbon technologies feasibility studies, and supports the development of mixed use masterplans. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) studies are also undertaken on a wide variety of subjects, pedestrian comfort wind models, natural and mechanical ventilation of buildings and tunnels, and detailed modelling of smoke, fire and water flow.
When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced modeller who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Training is arranged on our software modelling tool IES to ensure all our building physics engineers have a full set of design skills. AECOM run a comprehensive graduate training program to develop skills in areas including clear communication and report writing, client presentation and financial management. Early work with us will typically involve:
- Producing 3D geometry for buildings and developments
- Liaising with internal and external design teams
- Assisting in setting up comprehensive energy models of proposed developments
- Attending meetings and workshops with other design professionals such as architects 2
- Undertaking simple test cell modelling to assist with design development
- Collating evidence for the issue of Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
- Undertaking calculations in various supporting software packages
- Assisting in producing supporting information for central data bases
- Understanding and undertaking early energy calculations
- Supporting the engineers in producing information for inclusion into the main reports
- Assisting in production of marketing material for internal and external clients
- Supporting the senior staff in the delivery of projects
As a graduate develops they are expected to take on more responsibility in managing our projects from inception through to completion. Graduates will regularly meet with their line manager to discuss their progress, areas of interest and plan future development activities.
- Engineering or related STEM degree at 2:1 (or equivalent) or above
- Maths and physics A-Levels (or equivalent) at grade ‘B’ or above preferred but not essential
- Ability to demonstrate an interest in working in the mechanical engineering or building services fields.
- Experience of or degree modules relating to; building physics, use of modelling software, engineering specifically, and a range of renewable energy technologies.
- Knowledge of the built environment would be preferred but not essential
- Some experience or knowledge of software packages associated with modelling DTM and or CFD (preferred but not essential)
- Be creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic. • Be highly motivated with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience of working collaboratively • Ability to demonstrate attention to detail.
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise parts of projects
- Able to work independently as part of a team.
- Fluent English
- An awareness of health and safety, environmental factors and sustainability in all aspects of engineering projects
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, with significant multidisciplinary exposure.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-perf
- Property & Construction
- London, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1990
2 Leman St, London, UK