- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 22,260.0 per year
New Schools Network
New Schools Network (NSN) is a dynamic, growing charity that aims to improve the quality of education – particularly for the most deprived – by increasing the number of good free schools within the state sector. By offering advice, guidance and support, the charity has been instrumental in helping hundreds of groups of parents, teachers, charities and schools to establish new schools. Over the last two years, NSN has expanded its activities to supporting the 800 or so free schools that are open or have been approved to open.
This is an exciting opportunity to improve the quality of education in England by joining NSN’s Advisory or Delivery Teams as an Adviser. NSN is currently recruiting for two advisers; one to join the Advisory Team and one to join the Delivery Team.
The Advisory Team
NSN’s Advisory Team offers support and guidance to free school applicant groups. This includes researching which groups are best placed to set up specific types of schools, generating leads, engaging with applicants at the earliest stage of their thinking and throughout their journey until they submit their free school application to the Department for Education (DfE).
As a member of the advisory team, you will act as a critical friend to groups of people, organisations and academy trusts who want to set up new free schools, responsible for delivering guidance and feedback on the quality and viability of their proposals, as well as co-ordinating access to the other services we provide.
The Delivery Team
NSN’s Delivery Team works to support both open and approved schools. The team offers free services to the ~400 open free schools, and a mixture of free and paid-for services to the ~300 approved free schools. The aim of NSN’s free services, available to all open and approved free schools, is to identify and share good practice on setting up and running a new school amongst NSN’s network of new schools. NSN’s paid-for services, which were launched in late 2017, support free schools that require additional advisory or project management support during the pre-opening period.
As a member of the Delivery Team, you will be responsible for advising approved projects on how to navigate the challenges of pre-opening as well as helping open free schools meet the challenges of the first few years. You will have a chance to lead a wide range of new projects, some of which will be of a commercial nature, and help to develop the support that NSN offers open free schools and those in the pipeline
These will be demanding and challenging roles. You will be directly responsible for your own set of free school applicant groups or schools in pre-opening but will also contribute to the development of the overarching package of support we provide. As part of a growing, dedicated staff, you will have the opportunity to gain experience of a range of disciplines and be involved in one of the most exciting and fast moving areas of public policy.
The Advisory and Delivery teams work closely with NSN’s Academy Ambassador and External Relations Teams to support the delivery of all of NSN’s services. You will be joining a small team of other advisers who have come from a range of backgrounds, including recent graduates, former teachers, campaigners and those with a background in the third sector. As part of a small organisation, you will have the opportunity to gain experience across NSN’s work and be involved in one of the most exciting and fast moving areas of public policy.
- Researching, identifying and cultivating free school applicant leads in priority areas.
- Marketing NSN’s support to open and approved free schools to ensure broad uptake.
- Liaising directly with proposer groups to answer specific questions about the free school application or pre-opening process.
- Managing multiple projects by proactively working with proposer groups to develop their free school applications and deliver those plans in pre-opening.
- Providing high-quality written feedback on draft free school applications and pre-opening plans.
- Advise open schools on the specific challenges of running a brand new school, including supporting networking amongst existing new schools to share best practice.
- Provide efficient and accurate advice for applicant, approved and open free schools via phone and email, or refer them to the appropriate advice and support within NSN.
- Producing written guidance on a range of subjects related to establishing a school.
- Supporting the organisation and delivery of training and networking events.
- Developing NSN’s strategy.
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate the following key skills:
- A strong academic record.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Experience of managing and developing small projects.
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills.
- Experience of working in a customer/client focussed environment.
- Ability to show initiative and design creative solutions.
- Ability to review information and use it to inform strategy and practice.
- A passion for improving education.
- Support for, and understanding of, the free schools policy.
Expertise or experience in any of the following will be an advantage
- Minimum one-year experience working in a relevant organisation.
- Experience working in or with schools, in particular free schools or academies.
- Project management.
£22,000-26,000 per annum, dependent on experience
5pm, 7th November
Include cycle to work scheme, interest free travel loan, generous annual leave allowance, additional
pension contribution, governance/study leave allowance and flexible working hours.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please submityour CV and a covering letter, explaining why you are the right person for this job. Please also include details of your current salary and notice period.
If you have a preference for which team you would like to join, please state this in your covering letter. Please note, the final decision about which candidate’s skills and experience is best suited to which team will be at the discretion of the interview panel.
Please note:We are keen to appoint as soon as possible so will be interviewing and may appoint for this position before the deadline. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply as soon as possible.