You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 13 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
Outline of project: Working as an application programmer within the ICG application development team, helping to design and build line-of-business applications to help the business grow and manage its investment assets.
In addition to numerous systems that ICG buys or rents from 3rd parties, we also write bespoke software and applications where we feel we feel there is no suitable 3rd-party option available, or where we think there is considerable intellectual property value in a proprietary system.
Examples of these in-house systems include Credit Analysis and Risk Monitoring systems, as well as data-integration and report-writing tools, for example to automate specific bespoke business processes. The internship would involve working on one or more of these systems as part of a wider team of 6 other developers in the London office.
The intern would be expected to play a full role in the development team, being involved in all aspects of development, and should expect their designs, solutions and code to be deployed to our production systems for real-world use within weeks of joining the team.
The key aspects of the role are described below:
1.Business Analysis and Problem Solving
- Work directly with our business users to understand the business problems they are trying to solve, and to establish the requirements of the system being designed.
2.Design and Development
- Use modern application development tools and techniques to develop solutions to those business requirements.
- Developing enterprise software as part of a global team, and adapting existing live systems with mission-critical data, can present many unique and interesting challenges when compared with academic projects or green-field ideas or working alone. The intern will learn to work in this complex environment and develop the technical and soft-skills necessary to take ideas from concept to reality.
3.Application Testing and Deployment
- ICG develops systems within the context of an automated testing and deployment framework. The intern will learn and make use of this framework in order to ensure that their code behaves as
- expected and can be released and used in a controlled and risk-free way, and will likely be able to contribute to the ongoing evolution of the framework itself.
- In addition to writing code and designing new systems/capabilities, the Intern will be expected to help support ICG’s applications in their daily use by the business. Although the firm has a dedicated helpdesk, some problems require a deep level of technical and/or business knowledge to resolve and the Intern will learn the skills necessary to do this, while helping to manage the expectations of a demanding business in a pressurised situation.
Joining the Team
In the first few weeks with the firm, the intern will be expected to familiarise themselves with the businesses, the products and technologies and the key people within ICG, and it is expected that the intern will spend time on the IT Service Desk in order to expedite this, before moving to the Development Team proper and getting involved in the application development process for the remainder of their placement.
Specialist skills or qualifications required
- Strong degree (2.1 minimum) from a leading university, ideally Computer Science degree, or possibly another degree with a very significant software engineering component, or have an alternative background with which to demonstrate significant software engineering skills (e.g. contributions to Open Source projects).
- Significant experience of:
- Object orientated programming concepts and techniques
- Functional programming concepts and techniques
- Significant experience of at least one of:
- C# and .Net Core
- Significant experience of HTML5 and CSS
- Candidates will need to demonstrate a desire for a career in Software Development, as well as understanding the importance of solving business problems, not just technology problems.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Our strategy is to grow our specialist asset management activities to deliver increased shareholder value. Our goal is to generate income and consistently high returns whilst protec
- Banking & Financial Services
- in London, UK
- 201-500 employees
- Founded in 1989
Juxon House, 100 St. Paul's Churchyard, London EC4M 8BU, UK