You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 24 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
The global population is predicted to grow to almost 10 billion by 2050, which, together with rising living standards, will boost agricultural demand and increase pressure on natural resources such as fresh water and fertile soils. We see a commercial opportunity in producing high value crops and commodities using sustainable and innovative systems in order to help meet this demand. Our focus is on the preservation and improvement of soils combined with the optimal use of water resources in favourable climates, to create sustainable ecosystems and generate superior yields of high quality produce.
Our current projects include the development of intensive certified organic crops (walnuts, pecans) on 5,500 hectares in South America and the production of commodity crops (wheat, barley, soya beans) on 10,000 hectares in Eastern Europe. We are also actively evaluating new projects such as an expansion into Colombia to grow organic cocoa and coffee.
We have a buy-and-build strategy, growing commodity crops and permanent crops responsibly in different countries and climates. This requires a long term perspective on the global market dynamics of each specific crop. At the same time, it requires a detailed understanding of the technical agronomic aspects related to these crops (soil, water, radiation). We research these aspects in detail through conducting in-depth analyses of the market, and the technical, social and economic considerations, to design project plans and make economic projections to support our investment decisions. When we do not have the knowledge in-house, we work with local experts and first-class research institutions, such as Wageningen University and the University of California, Davis, to assist us in better understanding the complex environment in which we operate.
We are looking for someone to join our team in central London who can grow into the role of identifying, researching, planning and managing such buy-and-build projects.
We are searching for candidates with the following profile:
- Affinity with the agricultural sector, plant, environmental and soil sciences and an interest in building a career in this sector.
- Analytical, good project management and research skills and an interest in financial modelling (a background in this is not required).
- Able to operate autonomously with a broad variety of tasks and to structure a project. Tasks range from technical research (e.g. water, soils and plant varieties) and financial modelling in Excel, to market analysis and overall project management.
- Curious and eager to learn, working in a small team of people.
- Foreign language skills (Spanish is a plus).
- Previous work experience is not a requirement, maximum 2-3 years.
- Willingness to travel.
Interested? Email your CV and cover letter to Anne Schols via the "apply now" button.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.