You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- Didcot, UK
- Posted on 11 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 19,136.0 per year
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. To find out more about STFC please see one of our videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQlxetSlMSDoZoEOG0M9G4g
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate sandwich students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
The Central Laser Facility (CLF) at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory is a world-class research facility with over 100 technical and scientific staff, providing advanced laser facilities for UK and international scientists. Work carried out at the CLF spans a wide range of science, from creating supernovae in the lab using high power lasers, to studies of chemical reactions on ultra-fast timescales, imaging of cells and development of new laser technology.
The ISIS pulsed neutron and muon source at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. ISIS produces beams of neutrons and muons that allow scientists to study materials at the atomic level using a suite of instruments, often described as‘super-microscopes’. It supports a national and international community of more than 2000 scientists who use neutrons and muons for research in physics, chemistry, materials science, geology, engineering and biology. It is the most productive research centre of its type in the world.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
We seek a science communication student to play a full role in promoting ISIS and CLF science to a range of audiences. You will join a team that plays a major role in the life of ISIS and CLF promoting science through a range of channels including websites, specialist and national media, events, exhibitions and education activities.
You will have a have a passion for contemporary science and technology and will enjoy using and developing your writing and presentation skills to promote our science to a wide range of audiences.
The role would suit someone with an interest in communicating contemporary science. You might be a science student wanting to switch into science communication or you might be a journalism student seeking to specialise in science.
- researching, writing and presenting our science through a range of channels
- managing projects in support of science and society programme
- support ISIS and CLF website content development
- developing industrial case studies
Shortlisting and Interview Criteria
- at university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry (S)
- right to live and work in the UK (S)
- science A-levels (S)
- English GCSE or equivalent (S)
- excellent writing skills (S)
- keen interest in science (I)
- good communication skills (I)
- demonstrate good team working capabilities(I)
- the willingness to learn new skills, both technical and non-technical (I)
- open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them (I)
- ability to present science to non-technical audiences (I)
- English A-level (S)
- experience in graphic design, social media or video/audio production (S &I)
- experience in writing for publication (S)
- experience of social media in social or professional context (S)
- basic knowledge of either CLF or ISIS (I)
- creative approach (I)
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
Interview Date: 27th - 29th November 2018
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
The Council has a broad science portfolio and works with the ac
- Science & Research
- Swindon, UK
- 1,001-10,000 employees
- Founded in 2007