- Solihull, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 25 Nov, 2018
- Posted on 27 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking projects through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our people are at the heart of our business and we pride ourselves in ensuring that our people embrace the values of the company, as set out by our founder Ove Arup in 1970 and that still hold true today, when dealing with our colleagues and our clients. Fire engineering is a fundamental component of multidisciplinary design in the built environment. At Arup Fire, we aim to be at the forefront and leading edge of our industry. Arup specialists work closely with clients to help them define their goals and objectives. Our innovative solutions go beyond compliance to include social, economic and environmental goals, as well as protection of people, assets, reputation and operation. Through our work, we believe we shape a safer world.
Our offered services are based on engineering fundamentals, founded through research and development. Our strong links with academia ensure we stay at the cutting edge of fire safety design. This allows us to innovate through extensive knowledge of fire dynamics, human behaviour, structural behaviour and risk, each essential to fire safety design in the built environment.
Fire engineering does not stop once the design is complete. Arup has a long track record of providing practical advice during tender, construction, commissioning and handover in order to maintain the quality and integrity of the fire strategy into the operational stage of the building. We believe this ‘Total Fire Engineering' approach to be essential to the success of all projects.
Our 180-plus fire engineers are based in around 30 locations worldwide, with over 95 of these in the UK. Drawing on our global presence, we share knowledge, information and best practice across sectors and geographies, ensuring we deliver efficient, cost-effective results to our clients anywhere in the world.
About the role
Right now, we're offering industrial placement positions for students to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will experience what we do as fire engineers and help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we will provide you with the necessary support you may need to deliver the allocated task smoothly and broaden your exposure to fire engineering and the concept of Total Fire Engineering. As part of your role, you will have various opportunities to assist colleagues in various offices across the region in preparing fire strategies, undertaking numerical analysis, and review architectural plans against relevant fire safety design guidance. You may even have the opportunity to travel to other Arup offices to assist on local projects and meet the team there.
The fire team believes that placements are fantastic opportunities for students and the firm to learn about each other and potentially consider a future career with our growing teams in the UK.
What we look for
We're looking for students with curiosity, enthusiasm, a personal drive to learn and a desire to challenge the norm. If you think you have these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) Fire Engineering and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you.
We're looking for students with the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Currently undertaking a Master's or Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject necessary to obtain engineering chartership, such as Fire Engineering, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Public Health Engineering, Applied Mathematics or other relevant degrees.
- Good A Levels (or equivalent qualifications) in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Sciences (Grade C or higher) are a distinctive advantage.
- Excellent written English, and be able to provide evidence/example of own work, if requested.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Understanding of different perspectives of different disciplines / stakeholders.
- Strong numerical skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Desirable skills:
- Experience with VBA or other programming languages.
- Experience reviewing drawings of buildings in 2D and 3D.
- Experience using sketching tools such as SketchUp.
- Experience with Autodesk software such as Revit, Navisworks or AutoCAD.
- Be inspired to learn and try new experiences.
- Be motivated to become professionally qualified as a chartered fire engineer.
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrate effective collaboration as part of a team, in addition to the aptitude to work on your own initiative, be inquisitive and proactive.
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans.
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole.
- We would be interested to hear of any community engagement/charity/voluntary work undertaken.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment and across industry. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- Property & Construction
- in Solihull, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1946