You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- Portsmouth, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 07 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
The Naval Architect is a key role in the Warship Support Naval Architecture team responsible for providing naval architecture capability across a broad spectrum of projects. The Naval Architect will be providing solutions in support of the RN surface fleet worldwide.
What you will be doing... (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
• Conducting naval architecture tasks such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and drydockings
• Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering naval architecture design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
• Participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to surface ship platforms and naval base facilities
• Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
• Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
• Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by bid manager in order to provide costed proposals for future work
• Maintaining accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
• Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved with a particular task or programme of work to ensure all aspects of the naval architecture design solution are considered
• Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
• When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for training to assist in the development of their knowledge and skills
• Promoting the skill areas capabilities and department to attract new work
• Adopt a professional approach to all naval architecture design solutions to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with the technology
Entry Requirements and what we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree in either Naval Architecture, Ships Science or Marine Technology. Experience preferred during degree:
• Conducting and analysing Inclining Experiments in a MOD framework
• Understanding of drydocking theory and practice
• Structural analysis, both theoretical and ideally using FEA, preferably ANSYS Workbench
• Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
• Caisson design and operation
• GRP and steel ship repair methods and procedures
• Surface ship design standards and processes (IMO, NES, DefStan, Classification Rules)
• Understanding of the whole ship engineering design process.
• Understanding of the hydromechanic aspects of surface ship design, principally stability
• Familiarity of naval architectural software, preferably PARAMARINE
• Experience of CAD software such as AutoCAD, Inventor & Rhinoceros
• Awareness of Product Safety and SHE
We would not accept candidates who had a general engineering degree.
Overview of Business Unit
Maritime Services delivers end-to-end services and support to over half of the Royal Navy’s Surface Fleet. You could join more than 3,500 employees across our UK sites and help deliver a range of services – from ensuring the Royal Navy’s ships are ready to go to sea, managing Portsmouth Naval Base, or even manufacturing radar, torpedoes, small boats and components for aircraft.
We are proud to support the Royal Navy and provide everything its personnel need to live and work at Portsmouth Naval Base. We have extensive experience in managing the base’s facilities and services, including accommodation, catering, transportation and even energy services.
Our support to ships sees us maintain and upgrade the fleet around the globe to ensure the Royal Navy meets its operational commitments
Our training services ensure personnel are capable and ready for maritime action and our products add operational advantage to our UK and international customers, this includes radar, torpedoes and small boats, as well as electronics being used in the new F35 Lightning B aircraft. Our work on complex technologies is used to support defence activities across the globe.
We have sites in Portsmouth, Cowes on the Isle of Wight, Filton near Bristol, Great Baddow in Chelmsford, and Hillend in Scotland
It’s an exciting time to be part of Maritime Services as the work at all our sites is helping the Royal Navy prepare for the arrival of the second Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier. By joining Maritime Services you could have the chance to help develop the engineering support required for the carriers throughout their operational life.
If you want to be part of our future working in partnership with the Royal Navy, then a career in Maritime Services awaits you
Security/ Export Control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
About BAE Systems
At BAE Systems, we provide some of the world’s most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace and security solutions .
Working with customers and partners, we develop, engineer, manufacture and support products and systems to deliver military capability and national security solutions – helping to protect people and keep critical inf
- Engineering & industrial
- London, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1999