- Derby, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 13 Apr, 2019
- Posted on 09 Jan, 2019
Closing Date – applications are open until 12th April 2019, however Balfour Beatty reserve the right to remove adverts should the roles be filled before this date.
Our Graduate Civil Design roles will be based in Redhill and in our Derby office
About the Programme
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Track Design Engineer to join our Rail Engineering Technology Services team.
Our Civil Design Engineering Graduates follow a training programme as part of our accredited ICE scheme, geared towards you achieving Charted Engineer status. This scheme has a strong emphasis on the design element of Civil Engineering. Depending on project requirements, you could be site, office based or both.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include multidisciplinary engineering, construction, safety and commercial and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation as well as the application of independent engineering judgement. Our aim is to develop your technical and leadership skills to help you reach your full potential.
Undertake and deliver designs of track system and track alignment for new scheme, renewal and maintenance projects from inception to design completion.
- Support the construction/site teams during the build phase.
- Prepare technical reports and draft specifications.
- Good overall knowledge of general civil engineering.
- Working knowledge of Permanent Way principles.
- To act safely and work to eliminate hazards at source
- Provide deliverables and a service that satisfies safety and quality requirementsProduce calculations, drawings and supply the associated service
- Contribute to the production of investigations, reports and specifications
- Operate in compliance with relevant technical, professional and group standards
- Ensure project change is fully implemented and recorded
- Undertake work using formal processes and procedures
- Manage and record time and provides time estimates for tasks.
- Packages delivered to programme and budget
- Packages comply with good design practice, relevant technical, professional and group standards
- Accurate packages with minimum of rework
- Accurate and complete recordsSuccessful audits
- Manage projects, or parts thereof, allocated providing monthly update of progress for client report.
The Balfour Beatty Graduate scheme lasts for two years;
you will follow a development programme that will equip you with the skills needed to become a business leader of the future. Throughout the two years, you’ll be supported by your line manager and have the opportunity to attend graduate-based events, where you will work with your peers, develop interpersonal skills and share best practice. You will join a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.This role will be working for Balfour Beatty Rail. Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways. For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:https://youtu.be/iGz4vrhopUY
What we’re looking for:
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to relocate as part of the programme)
- A team focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
What you'll need:
Who we're looking for:
- Knowledge and Experience:A minimum of a 2:2 in Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
- Candidates should be working towards membership of the I.C.E., I.Mech.E, or P.W.I.Awareness of construction methods and materials
- Knowledge of Group Standards /HSE Legislation
- Knowledge of Engineering Drawing Practices
- Must have a basic knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and how it impacts on the industry.
- Experience in railway based civil engineering and structures or civil engineering discipline.
- Good CAD skills
- Experienced at producing calculations, drawings and reports in the project delivery environment for the particular discipline.Experienced at operating to procedures and design office practices.
Rewards and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will be covered.Our Graduate Civil Engineer role will be based within our Rail Business Unit. To apply online please click the link below: https://pages.beamery.com/balfourbeattyet/form/emergingtalent2019?vacancy=nB_YfklcA For more information about what you can as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website www.balfourbeatty.com/graduate and view the profiles of our current graduates across the Group.Should you require any additional support with your application, please contact email@example.comWe value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. Balfour Beatty is a leading member of The 5% Club, which is now in operation in over 200 companies.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
About Balfour Beatty
We are looking for the next generation of infrastructure experts.
We think that could be you.
Who we are
We finance, design and build the structures that underpin our daily lives. With over 100 years’ experience, we create and care for the infrastructure that enables societies and economies to grow.
We work throu
- Property & Construction
- London, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1909