- Whitehaven, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 02 Jan, 2019
- Posted on 02 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
We are the team that engineer, deliver, manage and decommission nuclear facilities worldwide, using the latest technology solutions to ensure the lights stay on and the world remains a safe place.
Our power business has been delivering electrical, civil and structural engineering services to the global power sector for over 20 years. We’re now leaning into new energy challenges such as offshore generation and transmission, energy from waste, electric vehicle infrastructure and the integration of smart grid technology - helping to drive evolution in the power sector.
With an unwavering commitment to safety, quality and efficiency, we are well positioned to add value to today’s challenges of delivering the next generation of nuclear power plants while at the same time maintaining the existing generating fleet and safely decommissioning legacy facilities. We’re now looking to the future, working with Small Modular Reactor (SMR) developers to advance new designs and developing digital applications, such as virtual and augmented reality, for the nuclear industry.
Where you’ll be based
Summer – Bristol, Derby, Sheffield, Whitehaven.
Industrial Year - Bristol, Derby, Epsom, Sheffield.
What you’ll be doing
We have opportunities for undergraduates across a range of our Nuclear & Power teams in the UK. From a Mechanical Engineering related background, you could be working in one of the following teams:
- Supporting on some major projects across various areas of Energy from nuclear decommissioning, new power generation and nuclear new build.
- Working in partnership with our clients to provide professional consultancy advice, helping them deliver their complex engineering programmes.
- Reviewing and developing designs to improve plants, equipment, structures and Energy related systems.
- Carrying out surveys and site inspections, building strong client relationships.
- Using a variety of engineering software packages, as well as 2D and 3D modelling for new designs and modifications.
- Carrying out design and assessment for new build projects as well as additions, modifications and repairs to existing assets.
Who we’re looking for
- You’ll be on track to achieve a 2.2 degree in a relevant Mechanical Engineering degree discipline.
- You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills.
- You’ll have a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers both internally and externally and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with change.
- Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions.
Benefits & Rewards
- Dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond.
- Our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.
- Competitive salary.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
With Atkins, you’ll be joining a team who help to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas from moving people across London faster on Crossrail through to solving the energy challenges of the future.
Our work covers a range of sectors including Transportation, Water, Aerospace, Defence, Energy, t
- Property & Construction, Engineering & industrial, Science & Research
- in Whitehaven, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1938
Your personalised job suggestions
Placement at Atkins