You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- Didcot, UK
- Posted on 08 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 19,136.0 per year
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate sandwich students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
A sandwich student vacancy exists to join the group running the ChipIr instrument. You will assist in the day-to-day running of the instrument and in the development of fast-neutron detectors.
- work within a team delivering a neutron irradiation facility to a world-wide electronics industry
- develop a fast-neutron detector based on simple electronics devices (such as SRAMs)
- develop test regime and procedures to demonstrate the effectiveness of the new detectors system for characterisation of the ChipIr neutron beam’s intensity, size and shape
- extend fast neutron measurement for diagnostics on the ISIS source and potentially cross calibration with other world wide neutron facilities
- explore other the potential of devices to measure fast-neutrons
- get involved in the commissioning and development of other detector systems.
The position represents an excellent opportunity to work on a state-of-the-art instrument in a highly industrially relevant and rapidly developing area and to develop your skills in scientific and technical computing, problem solving, communication and team working.
Shortlisting (S) and Interview (I) Criteria
- at university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry (S)
- right to live and work in the UK (S)
- good interpersonal and communications skills
- demonstrated ability and initiative in solving technical and scientific problems
- enthusiasm, motivation and initiative
- ability to work independently and in a team
- high degree of responsibility, commitment and reliability
- awareness of some aspects of scientific data analysis techniques, software and programming
- some knowledge of one or more of the standard computing languages used at ISIS (e.g. Python, Fortran, C, C++, Java, Visual Basic, Labview etc)
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is keeping the UK at the forefront of international science and tackling some of the most significant challenges facing society such as meeting our future energy needs, monitoring and understanding climate change, and global security.
The Council has a broad science portfolio and works with
- Science & Research
- Swindon, UK
- 1,001-10,000 employees
- Founded in 2007