Oops, too late. Do not miss the hot jobs below
- Edinburgh, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 12 Sep, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
Graduate Geo-Environmental Engineer / Soil Scientist-(BIA0001QN)
Jacobs employs some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK. At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
We currently have an opportunity for a Geo-Environmental Engineer / Soil Scientist within our growing Land Quality team based in Edinburgh. The successful person will become part of arespected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
The Land Quality team provides strategic advice and innovative solutions to manage our clients’ subsurface environmental liabilities and includes technical specialists in the fields of land contamination assessment, hydrogeology, soil science and landfill engineering.
We are working on a diverse range of projects in the private and public sectors and require committed scientists/engineers to support our work.
Our mission statement is “We mitigate risks from land contamination, unlock the potential of difficult to develop land, protect finite soil resources and promote sustainable re-use of materials.”
As a Jacobs’ geo-environmental engineer / soil scientist you will be joining a successful and dynamic sixty-strong team and reporting to the local team lead in your home office. You will be providing support to the wider Jacobs business. You will assist in the delivery of geo-environmental input to projects.
The role will involve office and field based work primarily in Scotland and the north of the UK although may involve projects throughout the UK and overseas, so a willingness to travel would be required. Initially the role is likely to involve a significant proportion of field based work. Projects will include a broad range of land quality assessment work including soil, groundwater and gas assessment from desk studies to site investigations, site remediation and environmental monitoring. Sites range from large long term assessments at operational facilities to large infrastructure, energy and transport projects. We are particularly interested in candidates with a strong soil science background, e.g. soil physical/chemical structure, agricultural land classification / capability and understanding of best practice in assessing the existing resources and preventing damage to these finite resources.
Your main responsibilities will depend on specific project requirements but are likely to include:
- Assisting with desk based and field based studies of soil / agricultural land quality and soil/groundwater contamination
- Liaison with ground investigation and soil quality/survey subcontractors and laboratories
- Implementation and supervision of intrusive ground investigations and soil surveys
- Contributing to a wide range technical reports and deliverables
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems
- Applicants should possess a good undergraduate degree in a relevant subject (Soil Science, Geology, Earth Science, Chemistry, Environmental or Engineering related discipline)
- Applicants are required to have a full driving license
- Applicants are required to have a UK passport or valid work visa.
- You should be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team and build positive working relationships
- You will need to be willing to work away from your base office, with a high level of personal responsibility, and to be adaptable with a flexible approach to different project requirements
- The ability to produce well-presented and accurate reports is essential in this role
- An MSc in a relevant subject would be desirable however this is not essential
- Relevant experience in site work including soil science survey and assessment or planning and overseeing site investigation, logging, monitoring and borehole testing.
- A knowledge of GIS and data management.
- Experience in land quality assessment, preferably including fieldwork with a working knowledge of site investigation and monitoring techniques
- Good understanding of assessing soil / agricultural quality, including Land Capability for Agriculture (Scotland) and Agricultural Land Classification (England and Wales)
- Good understanding of best practice measures for soil protection
- Experience of environmental consultancy or with a ground investigation contractor
- A willingness to learn new skills and apply them in a consultancy setting
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Experience of professional report writing and ability to manipulate data
- Self-motivated and willing to take responsibility for your own performance
As well as our accredited training programmes which will help you to achieve professional status, you will be supported by an experienced mentor to complete the Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP). Working through a range of internal and external training courses, key skills will aid your development in all technical management and interpersonal skills required for success in a project focused environment.
As well as development opportunities, we offer a range of benefits to complement a competitive salary:
- Salary increase for every GDP key skill completed on time
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
Primary Location:United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Edinburgh
Job Posting:Sep 10, 2018, 10:43:10 AM
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and construction services for industrial, commercial and government organizations globally. The Company employs 50,000 people and operates in more than 30 countries around the world. Jacobs is ranked the #3 Most Admired Company in the Worl
- Property & Construction, Engineering & industrial
- in Edinburgh, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1947