- Basildon, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 30 Nov, 2018
- Posted on 06 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo’s Industrial Placement Programme offers you a paid opportunity to develop your current skillset in an innovative and practical environment that can lead to a place on our award winning Graduate programme.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented individuals who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
The 6 month – 1 year Industrial Placement Graduate Programme
We have created a programme across our UK site that not only increases your technical skills but gives you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible.
Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergraduate years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate programme at an appropriate time. At Leonardo, we have some of the Industry’s most sophisticated technology at our fingertips, and we rely on having the very best employees to maintain our competitive edge. You will be working for a company at the cutting edge of technology, as well as enhancing your skills and business acumen, opening up your horizons to the diverse and dynamic ways in which your degree can be used.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Your role as a Leonardo Industrial Placement Mechanical Engineer will be to support the design and development of our world leading electro-optical, communications and information system products under the guidance of experienced Mechanical Engineering Leads.
- You will be introduced to utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support.
- You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from all other disciplines particularly Systems and Electronics,
- Mechanical Engineers design models and assemblies using design tools like PTC Creo to drive manufacturing of piece parts and the assembly of products thru the technical data pack.
- Mechanical Engineering is a fundamental element of all our products and as such Mechanical Engineering provides the support and environment necessary for learning and career development.
- As an industrial placement you will fulfil the role of Mechanical Engineer with support and mentoring from a team of world class Mechanical Engineers.
- To learn the skills required to become a professional Mechanical Engineer.
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member (with support)
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with some guidance and support
- Ask for support where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members
- Contribute to engineering team decisions, and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Applicants should be studying in a relevant degree subject such as Mechanical Engineering, Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering or Aero-mechanical Engineering.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary & Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility)
- Generous holiday entitlement and flexible working arrangements Contributory pension scheme
- Employee discounts with selected suppliers, including gym membership
- Discounted coffee bar & restaurants at each site
- Free parking
What are you waiting for?
Leonardo is one of the biggest suppliers of defence equipment to the UK MoD, come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around!
Our Assessment dates run from November 2018 to April 2019 and roles WILL be closed once offered.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Leonardo is a global high-tech player in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
We are inspired by Leonardo da Vinci, a universally recognised symbol of creativity and innovation. Our new name follows our business rationalisation in which we absorbed the activities of AgustaWestland, Alenia Aermacchi, OTO Melara, Selex ES and WASS into
- Engineering & industrial, Logistics & Transport
- in Basildon, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1948
Sigma House, Christopher Martin Rd, Basildon, UK