You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- London, UK
- Posted on 31 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
9 month fixed term contract (maternity cover)
Closing Date: 13th November 2018.
Palgrave Macmillan, a part of Springer Nature, is a global cross-market publisher specializing in cutting-edge academic books. We publish monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in print and digital formats. In subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Geography and Sociology, the list contains original works by many of the foremost scholars, writers and editors in the world, including Nobel laureates and internationally recognized experts.
Palgrave Macmillan is looking for a motivated editor to manage the Psychology list for a 9 month fixed term contract in our London office. The ideal candidate will be a commercially-aware, target-driven, energetic, and creative self-starter, who is passionate about scholarly publishing and ideally has commissioning experience within an academic publishing environment.
Reporting to the Head of Science and Society, the Commissioning Editor will be responsible for acquiring and publishing a program of research monographs, edited volumes, Handbooks, Palgrave Pivots, MRWs and advanced textbooks for the scholarly market, to ensure the strategic growth of the list.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Seek out new authors and book ideas: actively research ideas, topics, and people for potential books and book series in line with the list and company strategy.
- Evaluate proposals and manuscripts to determine commercial viability, audience, and market; offer editorial feedback.
- Developing a strategy to ensure sustainable growth of the list in line with the wider divisional and company strategy.
- Negotiate the acquisition/contract process with authors, signing an agreed number of new titles each year.
- Serve as a project manager for each book project, coordinating delivery date, manuscript formatting, production workflows, and author management to ensure publication targets are met each year.
- Attend academic conferences and conduct campus visits to meet new authors as well as to promote and build the Palgrave brand in the psychology market.
- Liaise with global editorial colleagues as well as production, sales, marketing, and publicity.
- Work with an editorial assistant to ensure high-quality list management.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong publishing or equivalent experience.
- Experience in an editorial acquisition capacity and/or in an academic publishing environment.
- Familiarity with basic Microsoft Office applications; database familiarity preferred.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work independently.
- Keen proofreading skills.
Please ensure to include a cover letter along with a CV in your application.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
About Springer Nature
Discover. Learn. Achieve.
Springer Nature is a world leading research, educational and professional publisher, providing quality content to our communities through a range of innovative platforms, products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people – helping researcher
- Media, Publishing & Events, Academia & Education
- London, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 2015
The Macmillan Building, 4 Crinan St, Kings Cross, London, UK