- Birmingham, UK
- Apply by 25 Dec, 2018
- Posted on 27 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
As transport infrastructure experiences unprecedented investment, join us in transport planning and help us to shape the future of transport. You’ll provide advisory, planning, design and consultancy services to our clients, who include Local Authorities, Department for Transport, Highways England and private sector developers. Your insight, smart thinking and strategic advice will enable them to make the right decisions, develop and invest in the best solutions and realise their development goals.
We’re not looking for transport experience. We’re more interested in your innovative thinking and ability to bring clarity to complex problems, see things from different stakeholder perspectives and communicate your ideas and solutions in an effective way. The transport planning world is evolving rapidly into exciting new areas of technology, it has never been a better time to join our team to deliver projects which make their mark on the environment in which we live.
Does the chance to work on high profile projects such as the innovative design of the diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus and producing Local Traffic Management Plans for HS2 excite you? If so we’d love to see your application!
Where you’ll be based
Our placements are available in following locations: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Cambridge, Epsom, London, Manchester.
What you’ll be doing:
• Supporting transport planning projects from forecasting and appraisal, to gathering and analysing data for local modelling studies
• Developing and applying an understanding of national, regional and local transport policies, statutory and regulatory requirements, guidance and best practice
• Collecting, retrieving, analysing and using data and information on travel patterns and behaviour
• Assessing the different costs and benefits of transport schemes and programmes
• Analysing, interpreting and presenting data using GIS and spreadsheets
• Preparing various written deliverables, including client technical reports, materials for stakeholder engagement
• Undertaking research to understand the context for proposed schemes and their likely impacts
• Supporting consultation with the public and engagement with stakeholders
• Contributing to the application of the principles of transport systems/scheme design
• Developing and apply the principles and techniques of changing travel behaviour, including travel planning, travel marketing, walking and cycling initiatives and journey planning
Our undergraduate Transport Planners work across a variety of teams with expertise in the following areas:Economics and Business Case:
- Working with local authorities, the DFT, Highways England and more, we analyse all kinds of schemes from new highways and railways to bus rapid transit and Crossrail 2. We advise on everything from project costs and benefits to the best options and new ways to unlock investment.
Strategic Transport & Strategy:
Looking at everything from policies, infrastructure, public transport services and sustainable travel programmes to funding, governance and research, our clients will trust you to provide them with the best strategic advice.
- In Transport Modelling, we bring data and new ideas together. You’ll model traffic and people to understand movement and provide our customers with the very best solutions. And you’ll help us transform the future of transport by using the latest intelligent mobility and mobile phone data to create innovative new models.
Cities, and Development Planning:
- Collaborating with specialists from across our business as part of multidisciplinary teams, you’ll work on flagship regeneration, site expansion and transport planning development projects. Making the most of your transport planning and development skills, you’ll create streetscapes, secure planning approval for developers and deliver sustainable and accessible developments.
- Our rail operations team provides a wide range of rail planning and operations services. These include capacity and journey time modelling, network capability assessments, performance advice as well as timetabling and basic vehicle diagramming.
Who we’re looking for
We recruit undergraduates who are on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in a variety of degree disciplines such as:
• Engineering – Civil, Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, Telecommunications, Systems Engineering
• Planning – Transport Planning,
• English and Politics
• Sciences, Maths and others – Physics, Computer Science, IT, Geography, Maths, Environmental Science, Economics and GIS
We also require:
• Self-motivation with a real passion for transport planning, pedestrian planning or transport technologies
• Customer focused and commercially aware with a keen attention to detail and excellent numerical and analytical skills
• An excellent communicator and relationship builder with the confidence to work on your own initiative and work as part of multidisciplinary teams
• Ability to analyse problems and apply your technical knowledge to make sound decisions and create innovative solutions
• Vision, ambition and the drive to quickly progress and keep on developing your technical skills
• A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK
• Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working on site
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favorite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
With Atkins, you’ll be joining a team who help to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas from moving people across London faster on Crossrail through to solving the energy challenges of the future.
Our work covers a range of sectors including Transportation, Water, Aerospace, Defence, Energy, t
- Property & Construction, Engineering & industrial, Science & Research
- in Birmingham, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1938