You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 07 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
- £ 27,000.0 per year
Campaigns and Policy Officer
Job title: Campaigns and policy officer
Reports to: Head of Campaigns and Communications
Working hours: 37.5 hours per week
Starting salary: Up to £27,000
Employment status: permanent
This role offers an exciting opportunity to be right at the heart of the work of a small team with big ambitions. From writing position papers for policymakers to coordinating activism by supporters, the role offers the full range of campaigning experience inside an NGO. Working closely with our director, head of campaigns, digital officer and interns, our CPO will be a key member of our team, implementing our strategies and making change happen. This is an outward-facing role, all about engaging with the stakeholders who count, from government to local activists, from environmental NGOs to members of the public.
To take on this role, you will need to be astute, flexible, highly motivated and good with people. You’ll need to aquire a deep understanding of population issues and solutions but you’ll also develop a strong working knowledge of environmental, international development and women’s rights issues - the campaigns you’ll be working on are likely to touch on all of them. Population Matters has an international focus but we are a UK-based organisation also seeking change from our own government, so you’ll be closely involved in developing and implementing our domestic lobbying and influencing strategies. At the same time, seeking and developing opportunities to mobilise supporters to take action on our behalf will be a key part of the job.
Working within the context of our new three-year strategy, this role provides a unique opportunity to apply your skills and qualities across multiple campaign areas and activities. Managing this breadth and depth of work will be challenging, but you’ll be part of a supportive team of campaigners and communicators, dedicated to meeting one of our biggest global challenges.
Population Matters is currently a virtual organisation and the post-holder will work from home. Travel to London will be required at least monthly, however.
About Population Matters
Our vision is of a future with decent living standards for all, a healthy and biodiverse environment, and a stable and sustainable population size.
Population Matters campaigns to achieve a sustainable human population, to protect the natural world and improve people’s lives.
We promote positive, practical, ethical solutions – encouraging smaller families, inspiring people to reduce excessive consumption and helping us all to live within our planet’s natural limits. We believe everyone should have the freedom and ability to choose a smaller family, and support human rights, women’s empowerment and global justice.
Through our campaigning, advocacy and education work we are influencing policymakers, communities and individuals to make the changes needed for a healthy planet and a decent standard of living for all, now and in the future.
- Participate in the development of Population Matters operational plans, and lobbying and campaign strategies.
- Implement plans and strategies under the supervision of the Director and Head of Campaigns and Communications.
- Coordinate and generate activism in support of Population Matters goals.
- Undertake research.
- Produce content for online and offline materials, including lobbying materials, correspondence and news stories.
- General support for Population Matters campaigns and advocacy.
- Contribute to the development of campaign strategies and operational plans.
- Develop campaign collateral, such as leaflets, web content and educational materials.
- Organise, coordinate and attend Population Matters events.
- Logistical and administrative support for campaigns, communications and research activities
- Monitoring and evaluation of campaign activities and plans.
- Work with management team to translate Population Matters’ campaigns and policy into opportunities for activism by our supporters and the wider public (as appropriate).
- Manage relationships with Population Matters local groups and volunteers.
- Work alongside Population Matters’ Digital Communications Officer to enable the organisation to access and take advantage of the global opportunities for online activism.
- Undertake research and analysis, write reports for internal and external use.
- Contribute to the development of national and international lobbying strategies.
- Research and maintain databases of influencers, policymakers and relevant institutions.
- Produce lobbying and advocacy materials, including correspondence, briefings and reports.
- Monitor and evaluate advocacy plans and activities.
Other reasonable duties as required at the request of the Director and Head of Campaigns and Communications.
- Experience (paid or voluntary) of campaigning, public affairs /international affairs and/or charity/NGO sector.
- Educated to degree level in relevant discipline (e.g. development, environment, international affairs, politics, communications).
- Working knowledge of UK politics and international affairs.
- High standard of written English.
- Ability to take initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills.
- Flexible and adaptable approach and the ability to work as part of a small team.
- Commitment to Population Matters’ vision, mission and values.
- Experience of participation in grassroots activism and/or managing relationships with activists.
Please send CV and covering letter to Alistair Currie, Head of Campaigns and Communications. Your letter (one page maximum) should explain why you believe you are right for the post. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
We're committed to achieving equal opportunities in our recruitment and all we do, and respect and value diversity.
Deadline: midnight, Sun 25 November 2018
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.