You just missed it! This job already expired. Discover similar jobs with Advance…
- Edinburgh, UK
- Full-time employment
- Posted on 06 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
An exciting and challenging Software Engineering opportunity for students currently studying a science based degree e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Electronic Engineering (BSc (Hon) / BEng (Hon) / MEng) to have the opportunity to experience a 13 week paid industrial placement working as a Software Engineer within Leonardo.
Placement students will report to an experienced engineer who will provide them with day to day guidance and on-the-job training. They will be introduced to the software development processes and utilise state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools. They will also gain experience on one or more aspects of the software development lifecycle, which could include: applied research, requirements analysis, design, implementation, integration, and test.
The Placement Student will contribute to the solving of real life engineering problems on state-of-the-art avionics sensor systems such as: the radar for the Typhoon fighter jet; the radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter; one of our family of Surveillance AESA Radars (Active Electronically Scanned Array); an IRCM (Infra–Red Counter Measures) system; or on one of our laser target designator or laser ranging systems.
Particular emphasis will be placed on learning practical skills that may not be easily gained or experienced in the academic environment of a university.
You should demonstrate an interest in Software Engineering in the area of real time development for avionic systems.
Key Responsibility Areas
- To learn the skills required for software development. This could include developing practical skills in design techniques for aerospace applications, understanding of key processes and technologies, developing software using state-of-the-art modelling tools, compilers and test environments.
- To deliver technical reports and presentations on your work assignments to your supervisor and fellow placement students.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Candidates are expected to be in further education in a related course and have an appropriate gap in studies.
- Ideally candidates for a software placement should have some experience of computer programming and be enthusiastic and passionate about designing software and writing code.
- Experience of an object-oriented programming language such as C++ and knowledge of UML (Unified Modelling Language) is an advantage but not essential.
- A full statement of courses and projects studied at university and corresponding grades/marks/percentage should be included in your CV.
- Applications are also welcomed from candidates who have completed a first degree and are looking to gain industrial experience prior to commencing a relevant higher degree (i.e. PhD, MSc).
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
Leonardo is a global high-tech player in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
We are inspired by Leonardo da Vinci, a universally recognised symbol of creativity and innovation. Our new name follows our business rationalisation in which we absorbed the activities of AgustaWestland, Alenia Aermacchi, OTO Melara, Selex ES and WASS into
- Engineering & industrial, Logistics & Transport
- Basildon, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1948