- London, UK
- Apply by 25 Dec, 2018
- Posted on 27 Oct, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
The Systems and Safety Practice works both in the UK and internationally (US, Australia and the Middle East). We help our clients understand and make decisions confidently in complex situations; covering independent audit/assessment, technology development, engineering process, scheme development and design, construction and commissioning operations and maintenance.
The team are organised into three main capability areas namely Systems Thinking, Systems Project Delivery and Systems Safety. Understanding projects from different stakeholders’ point of view, we help our clients to find the best solutions to their challenges. Working flexibly as teams, we support each other to develop and deliver, and take opportunities for socialising together too. Over the next few years the team is focused on becoming an international centre of excellence for systems & safety engineering.
Where you’ll be based
Our placements are available in London
What you’ll be doing
Working as an undergraduate engineer, your role will cover a broad range of systems engineering tasks across the full project lifecycle including scoping, safety, design and development of the rail infrastructure delivering a holistic system engineering approach. Other aspects of your role may include conceptual studies affecting the future of transportation.
You may also be supporting the delivery of engineering safety management tasks on major infrastructure projects. You will be required to engage with various stakeholders, including discipline leads, senior engineers and project managers, suppliers and clients.
As a placement student, you will be:
• Assisting major internal projects for Systems Engineering – including requirements (functional, performance and safety), engineering (planning/elicitation and development), modelling (system modelling, RAM modelling, reliability analysis, Safety Analysis), interface management, verification and validation
• Supporting the writing and execution of systems engineering plans within timescale and budget for a diverse range of projects
• Assisting in qualitative and quantitative risk assessments; and identification, analysis and management of hazards
• Assisting with workshop preparation and management
• Gathering evidence and chasing follow up actions from a diverse range of specialists to deliver systems engineering and safety assurance on projects
Who we’re looking for
Undergraduates on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) degree in Aerospace & Aeronautical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical and/or Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Maths, Physics or Systems Engineering.
We also require:
• Confidence working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
• A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of
locations in the UK
• Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working on site
To get a real feel for our culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favorite social media platform and take a look #insideatkins
Benefits & Rewards
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalised objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme.
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
With Atkins, you’ll be joining a team who help to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas from moving people across London faster on Crossrail through to solving the energy challenges of the future.
Our work covers a range of sectors including Transportation, Water, Aerospace, Defence, Energy, t
- Property & Construction, Engineering & industrial, Science & Research
- in London, UK
- 10,000 employees
- Founded in 1938
Euston Tower, 286 Euston Rd, London, UK