- London, UK
- Full-time employment
- Apply by 31 Dec, 2018
- Posted on 01 Nov, 2018
- Start date:
- Visa Sponsor
About AshurstAshurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Team overview:Ashurst's funds group is an award-winning highly ranked international funds practice. It operates from the UK, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia, supported by a global network of tax and regulatory specialists and Ashurst's London Luxembourg Desk.
The group advises some of the world's most ambitious fund managers, and leading international investors, on a wide range of private investment funds. Its work includes the structuring and formation of private equity, debt, infrastructure and real estate funds as well as carried interest and co-investment arrangements.
The Ashurst investment funds group is consistently recognised as a thought leader and innovator within investment funds. That is demonstrated by, for example, our widely respected "Funds Insight" magazine and the numerous awards the group has won (including in recent years "Law Firm of The Year – Fund Structuring" at the unquote British Private Equity Awards and "Funds Team of the Year" at the Lawyer Awards).
The group delivers bespoke advice covering all aspects of funds: from cutting edge tax structuring to innovative commercial terms, from advising on leverage facilities to secondary transactions and management spin-outs.
The group has developed organically since the 1980s, and has a supportive and collegiate approach with a strong track record for associate career development.
"Ashurst LLP's 'standout' funds practice........The well balanced team is praised for its 'sound, commercial legal advice, swift response, good strength in depth, and fair fees'" Legal 500
Job overview:Ashurst combines the benefits of a leading funds practice with a supportive and collegiate environment. The firm is looking to make a long term investment in a strong lawyer who is similarly looking to make a long term career commitment to investment funds.
The candidate should be an ambitious lawyer, with demonstrable experience in a funds-related role at another major law firm. Ashurst has a proven track record in developing funds associates, and the vacancy represents an outstanding opportunity for a team-player with strong technical skills and a commercial approach to progress.
- Take day to day responsibility for client matters and actively progress complex matters with close partner support. You will be able to demonstrate well developed drafting skills, preparing legal documentation, including private placement memoranda and fund agreements.
- Demonstrate confident and effective negotiation skills, able to conduct commercial negotiations with investors, fund managers and other parties.
- Maintain close client contact, including assisting with commercial advice on market practice and fund terms and with project management.
- Deploy effective communication with clients in order to understand their needs and how best to meet them. You will also have the ability to assist clients in arriving at practical and cost effective solutions.
- Demonstrate self-awareness and ability to identify when a team member needs support and be approachable for advice and to give constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate commercial acumen – be able to understand the way our business, competitors and clients are developing and work with the business development team to use this information to develop business opportunities. Build and maintain a network of business contacts.
- Proactively identify opportunities to introduce your clients to other offices and practice areas, working intelligently with partners, other lawyers and the business development team to exploit opportunities.
- Display excellent attention to detail, being able to identify inconsistencies or a misunderstanding of clients' needs.
- Reflect on your own strengths and weaknesses and work not only on your own development, but also mentor and develop junior associates.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified mid-level lawyer with post-qualification experience at a major law firm
- Experience at a law firm recognised for its investment funds practice in some or all of the above areas of work.
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and agreements in a private practice environment
- An adaptable person who is a fast learner, with experience dealing with multiple jurisdictions.
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs
- Experience of negotiating with counterparts.
- A commercial approach.
Recent Work:Examples of the group's recent work from London includes advising:
- Altor Equity Partners in relation to the €2 billion Altor Fund IV.
- Aviva Investors in relation to the establishment of their flagship alternative income solutions credit fund
- CapMan Plc in relation to the CapMan Nordic Real Estate Fund.
- Equitix in relation to the establishment of Equitix Fund IV
- Hermes GPE LLP on a direct co-investment fund and on a global secondaries fund.
- Inflexion Private Equity Partners LLP on all of their buyout and co-investment fund including the Inflexion Buyout Fund IV and Inflexion Partnership Capital Fund II.
- Intermediate Capital Group PLC on the €3.0 billion ICG European Fund VI
- Intermediate Capital Group PLC on the establishment of ICG Asia Pacific Fund III.
- NM Rothschild on Oberon Credit Investment Fund I.
- Partners Group on its investments in various global real estate funds
Career advancement:An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Secondment opportunities:Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.
Job Opening Monday 1st October 2018
Job Closing Monday 29th October 2018
Discover thousands of graduate jobs on Advance.careers. We deliver you the entire UK job market.
With 25 offices in 15 countries and a number of referral relationships we offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. Our 400 partners and further 1,000 lawyers work across 10 different time zones, responding to our clients wherever and whenever they need u
- in London, UK
- 1,001-10,000 employees
- Founded in 1822
Broadwalk House, 5 Appold St, London EC2A 2HA, UK